Friday, March 6, 2009

Homegrown Revolution

1. What strikes you about their movie?

What strikes me about the Dervaes' movie is the before and after photos they show of their house. It is really amazing that a family could turn a regular, everyday house into a jungle of fruits and vegetables that they could live on. They don't need anything other than what they can grow themselves, and what they can make out of it.



2. What do you think the Dervaes’ family Needs vs. Wants sheet would look like? Why?

I think that if the Dervaes' have a wants vs. needs list, they would have more needs than most people because they need water, and soil, and seeds, and stuff for their plants and stuff that most people do not need to get and probably don't event think about getting soil, etc.. I also think that their needs list would not be as long as most people's because they are more focused on what they need to do to eat and are always busy working on their life, not working on being miserable and unhappy or thinking my life would be better if I had... or All I need is one more ... and my life would be perfect...



3. How does the Dervaes family fit into what we are studying in My Ishmael?

They fit in with what we are learning about in My Ishmael because in the book Ishmael says stuff about how we need to save the world and how we are destroying it. The Devraes' family is a perfect example of what we all could and should be doing to save the world and to live more substantially.



4. Overall, what are your thoughts on the way this family lives and works?

I think that it is really amazing and cool that the Dervaes' family was able to live off of what they grow in their house in a CITY. I also think that it is really cool that they are working to save the environment by doing all that at their house and by spreading the word with this website and many others. I think that its great that, because they grow their own stuff they don't have to buy it from other countries and not also by growing it themselves the fruit is fresh and good. I also think that we should all try to follow in their footsteps and at least grow some of our own stuff.

2 comments:

  1. i agree with what you said about it being amazing they did all the growing in a city!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about their wants list being shorter because they have most things they already want. I like that you included that because I got to see a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete