Monday, October 27, 2008

Dialectic Journal # 1


Chapter 5


Page 43


"Would his love for me impel him to dash in and be nailed alongside me? I didn't care. I wanted the pain to end. I begged the men to kill me. I could feel the bones in both my hands shattered by the spikes.I would never hold a spear or even a gardening spade. I would be a cripple, a clubfist. My life was over and in the meanest, most dishonorable way."




What strikes you about this passage? Why is it interesting to you?


The thing that strikes me the most about this passage is that the pain is so bad that he would rather die than go through the pain anymore. He even begs the men to kill him. He didn't care about anything other than the pain. He didn't care what his cousin did or Bruxieus did, all he wanted was the pain to stop, and if the only way that was going to happen was if he died than he wanted to die. I also think that it wasn't just the pain. I think that it was also that he would be ashamed if he had to live the rest of his life, not being able to do a mans job and fight in a war, or protect his family because his hands were shattered and he would never be able to hold a spear again.


What is your reaction to this quote? How does it make you feel?


My reaction to this quote is, "Ow. That's got to hurt like crazy." I also think of Jesus being nailed to the cross. I also feel really bad for him because he will never be able to do his job. I feel bad for him because he is so young and he had to go through so much pain at the age of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment