Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cooking Blog

Wonder

We are growing herbs in our classroom for the L.U.L.S. project. Why? Because L.U.L.S. stands for Lets Use Less Stuff and trying to support a local community. So by growing our own herbs we are not relying on big corporations, we are supporting ourselves. Then we are cooking with them so that we are doing something with what we are growing. We are also trying to answer our projects essential questions which are "Why don't people live more sustainably?" and, "How can I convince them to do so?" In growing our own herbs we can answer the question of how we can convince them to do so because if we know how we can do that, then we ca tell them all the benefits of living sustainably.

Process

First you have to pick what you want to make, then what you want to grow. Then you have to get the ingredients that you did not grow. You can get them from a local farmers market if you want, but we just went down to Von's and got the stuff.

This is what we used to make our guacamole

3 avocados
3/4 of an onion
1 tomato
1 jalapeƱo
and this is what we grew that we used
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1 cayenne pepper

Recipe for the guacamole that we made

1. First you need to pick the cilantro and peppers



2. Then wash them off




3. Then wash off the tomato and the peppers


4. Cut the onion and the tomato into little cubes


5. split the avocados in half, then dice them while they are still in the skin


6. Take the diced pieces out with a spoon and put them in a large bowl


7. Start mashing up the avocados in the bowl


8. then add the tomato and the onion


9. Cut the peepers in half, then scrape out the seeds


10. Dice up the peppers and put them in the bowl

11. Mix all the ingredients together and keep mashing it


12. Add salt and pepper and lime (there is no right amount...just whatever you like)


13. Mix it all together again


14. Then taste it and ad whatever you think it needs


15. Then eat and enjoy



This recipe is from my mom...she just made it up as she went along the first time she made it





Reflect

Our finished product tasted really good. We didn't have any chips so we ate it on garlic bread, while Anthony ran down to Von's and got us some chips. We shared with both our teachers and Chris Wakefield, and everyone else who came into the room.

If I were to do this again, I would make the guacamole sooner ad I would make more of it. I would also remember to get chips at the store before we started making it. Other than that I think it went perfectly.
Yes the growing and the cooking of the herbs has changed my thinking a little bit. I never thought of growing my own herbs an vegetables, but now I do think about it, and I know that I can do it an that it is not that hard. I also know that it tastes really good when it is fresh and now I want to grow my own a little bit. But I don't know if I am going to.

5 comments:

  1. YUMM. it looks very delicious. I'd like a taste sometime! nicejob, you pictures are clear andf easy to follow I really likd the way you displayed your food. It was easy to follow!
    good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty pictures!! good job, and guess what i tried it! i remembered that! it was REALLY good!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of all of us. Nom nom nom. I am totally going to use this specific recipe to make guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked how you put a picture with every step even the harvesting.
    I think that your guacamole looked amazingly YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how you got the pictures from an amazing photographer! =) i realy like how you showed the steps step by step. I also like how you showed everyone eating it. and it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete